I was more interested in making functional cards with easily understood definitions than a highly designed piece of art. Using the cards for a quiz changed my outlook, my flashcards have a utilitarian function. My design for the definition side of the card was to have a large headline, and the definition in a smaller font.
This layout has the name of the word, and the definition, right justified, lined as far to the top right, and bottom right as possible. This creates a large white space, and I placed a 7% shadow of my letter in that space. I justified it to the left margin and centered the letter vertically between the headline and the definition. My copy on each card is roughly the same and my definitions all have the same structure. I start each definition with either A, The, or another two to three letter word. I cut the definition length by eliminating phrases like in typography or repeating the name of the character like the aperture is and so on. This gave my definitions a stable format that was easy to read from card to card, and therefore easy to memorize. I have some cognitive disabilities, and due to these limitations, it is difficult for me to memorize long strings of words. The more simple and concise the definitions are the easier it is for me to use them. The formatting was as much about function as it was about style.
The letters I use to group my cards are Q, J, K, A, D, fl, and G. I categorized my flashcards so I could break the studying down to smaller 4 or 6 card groups. Since I had this idea of having these seven letters I put all seven letters on each card as an additional style element. On the illustration, I made my letter simple. I used a basic serif font, and pointed at the desired area of the letter with a 30% grey carrot. Both the front and back of my flashcards are utilitarian in design. I made sure that my cards were as functional as possible. I got an A on the test the cards were used for. That shows the effectiveness of the flashcards.